This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Love Photography"!

"I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY!" - rant by Allen Murabayashi

I enjoy photography. However this rant of Allen's about "loving photography" seems to imply that people should love every form of photography. I don't really think I need to love everyone's photography or love every form of photography. That being said, I appreciate well-done photography of every genre. However I will reserve comment for the genres that I do well in myself because there I know what I feel in my opinion constitutes a photo that I appreciate.

I don't have to appreciate someone's ill-lit family photo or someone's party pics just because they throw them up on the latest social network to hit the mainstream. That sort of thing just doesn't "rock my world". People may not like my saying so, but you know what, there's a thing called "free will". I don't have to like your photography. Most times I will...because there's probably something that you've done well...and I do enjoy photography that is done well.

People have this innate need to go around thinking that they have to comment on everything or expect comment on everything or that people have to like everything that they do. I really don't give a rat's behind if someone likes my photography or doesn't like my photography. I take photos because I LOVE doing it, I take photos that are well-exposed and properly compositioned because that's my expectation of my own photography and that's the most important thing to me. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the comments of other people on my photography. I do get a warm fuzzy if you like my photography. It means that my photography is reaching other people other than myself. BUT ultimately, my photography is MY photography. If the only person who likes it is myself, then that's good enough for me. And I'm my own harshest critic. I'm always looking for ways to improve. I'm always looking for a better way to do things. Photography is a morphous interest. It's ever-changing and the bar gets set higher and higher. And that's what makes photography so interesting for me.

If people love taking family photos...of their occasions and don't care about exposure or composition...all the more power to them. But don't expect me to like their picture too.

No comments:

Post a Comment