This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Nikon AF-S Nikkor-70-200mm f/4 G ED VR

The addition of the Nikon AF-S G VR 70-200mm f/4 ED lens to the stable of f/4 constant aperture lenses is a godsend for those people who don't want to put out the princely sum of $2199.99 MSRP CDN to purchase larger aperture f/2.8 VRII. I already have the f/2.8 VRII in my hands so I won't be purchasing this lens. However when a production copy of it hits the market at Broadway Camera, I will try to get my hands on it for a bit of a test shoot.

At f/4 constant, the lens will be slower than the f/2.8 VRII, but to be able to shoot at a constant aperture not the typical variable aperture of most telephoto zoom lens (f/4-5.6), it will be a situation where you can shoot at f/4 at 200mm where most likely you will be shooting at f/5, being at least half an aperture stop faster with the constant aperture lens than you would normally be shooting at with a variable aperture lens. As I haven't had the opportunity to shoot this lens, I'm not going to be too certain as to how sharp this f/4 lens is wide open versus stopped down to f/5.6 for speed or f/8 for depth and sharpness. That review will have to wait for an edit to this post.

Most people would probably use this for wedding photography or portraiture since they are looking for sharpness rather than speed. However most professionals would prefer the f/2.8 VRII rather than the savings in the pocket from opting for the f/4. Only time will tell.

As you all know. I don't do a "technical" review. If you want technical reviews, you can go to dpreview.com or other sites that specialize in that sort of review. I don't get into the minutiae of the construction of the lens. I'm not a tech geek (I'm a wildlife/nature photographer) and I don't go for the "the 2 inch displacement of the ED glass between the next ED glass element will make this possible". I don't care how Nikon, Tamron or Sigma has designed their lenses or in what order they placed their lens elements to construct the lens. I don't break down my lens reviews like that. All I want to do is know that if I throw the lens into a certain shooting situation, that it will perform up to my expectations. So in this blog you will see whether or not the lens has the performance capability to shoot wildlife/nature or sports photography or whatever I put it to doing. So what you're getting when you look into my reviews is the nitty gritty. How the lens or camera performs in a certain situation and whether it meets up to my criteria for sharpness and speed. That's why my reviews are short and to the point. And when I get my hands on a lens, then you will see the lens review with photos indicating whether I thought it stood up to the test. Once I manage to get enough limit on a credit card, I will start renting lenses and taking them out for a field test. Until then you'll just have to bear with the in-store reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment