This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Night Photography - September 28, 2012

Night photography is probably one of the hardest forms of photography to do properly. Depending on the result that you are trying to convey, each of the settings will be affected. There are two schools of thought on night photography. One states that you use aperture priority, the other states that you use manual. Either one will produce different results. Others will dictate that you shoot wide open, some will dictate that you stop down to f/8. Each of the tutorials that I've seen has had different settings and all in all, it becomes a confusing morass of "A said, B said".

As a beginning night photographer (actually this is the first time I've started doing night landscapes/city scapes), I'm wanting to learn the settings and I'm finding that with the differing opinions on what works in night photography, that I'm going to have to learn by trial and error.

The Shoppers Drug Mart at Central City - this shot was marred by raindrops on the lens casting unflattering droplets of light onto the whole image.

London Square - I tend to use "tungsten" if I want to project a cold vision on my night photography. Most will tend to use a warmer Kelvin number.

London Square - shot from my wife's work

No comments:

Post a Comment