This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Got to love my Go-To Wildife Lens - My Nikon AF-S VRII 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED

After owning the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VRII for just a little over a full year, I find that this lens is probably one of the best lenses for Nikon pros out there. However what I'm going to talk about its versatility for wildlife shooting. At 3.39 lbs, this isn't some lightweight lens when you're hauling it around all day. Add on a Manfrotto 680B monopod or a 190XB tripod and you're talking shoulder ache. At least I don't have to haul around a 600mm and a Gitzo GT5541LS but when I walk over to Green Timbers to shoot wildlife or to carry around on a walk around Stanley Park, I want something light and I want something fast and as far as I'm concerned, the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII is probably the best lens out there. At 8.2 inches it's not the smallest lens out there either and it'll take up a lot of room in your camera bag, especially my Lowepro Rezo 190 AW. I usually carry two lenses with me: the 50mm f/1.8D on my Nikon D300s and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII (in the camera bag).



Pixel peepers will complain about the fact that 200mm may or may not be 200mm, but hell...pixel peepers will complain about everything under the sun that they can get away with.

The main thing with this lens is "IT IS SHARP!" By far it is one of the sharpest lenses that I have seen to this date. It is also one of the most versatile lenses in the Nikon catalog. People use this lens for event, wedding and portrait photography. But the other thing is that it is a mainstay for wildlife photography, especially if you're up close or you want to take a environmental shot in wildlife photography where you want to show more of the habitat that the animal lives in.



This lens is fast enough to take "in-flight" shots. Needless to say, this is something I'm going to have to work on.



And if the animals are close enough, you can actually get in and get a decent portrait of them and their environment.



And the fact that you can switch from that type of wildlife shooting to any other form of photography including environmental portraiture of people, makes this an incrediblly versatile lens to have in your camera bag. Especially if you have a spare $1799.99 lying around in need of spending.



I'd have to say: next to the 50mm f/1.8D in my camera bag, I find this is my go-to lens and well worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment