This site doesn’t allow pinning to Pinterest or posting of any content by secondary parties to Facebook or MySpace. Any infringement of copyrighted property will be met with a) a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice, b) a bill for usage of any images and c) a potential lawsuit for copyright infringement. Spam comments will be deleted (links to other services not related to photography are not welcome in this blog; please e-mail me prior to posting a comment containing such links. I do not support any links to secondary photography services that do not offer customer service guarantees). Please contact the owner with any questions. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lens Envy

Lens Envy: the feeling that you get when you see a photographer walking around with a lens that is much bigger or faster (f/1.4,f/1.8, f/2, f/2.8 lenses or large supertelephotos which need to be supported by tripods with legs nearly the thickness of your own legs with aperture ranges from f/2.8 to f/4) than the kit lens that you bought with your camera.



There are two kinds of lens envy: the beginner-photogs looking at a photographer who has any type of pro-glass (my 70-200mm VRII for example) and then there are the amateur photographers who look at the guys with the big supertelephoto lenses and making large wet puddles of drool on the pavement.



I've had both experiences. I envy guys who have the money to buy those 400mm f/2.8s - 600mm f/4s that they use to shoot bird photography and I tend to covet those type of lenses...so I am saving up for two long supertelephotos of my own, unlike people who do envy people their lenses and don't do anything about it. And I have also had lens envy directed at me for walking around town with a Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII G-ED. And that is no slouch of a lens.



I tell myself that one of these days I'll be able to afford my dream lenses and I'll be able to go out there and probably inflict some major lens envy on some poor unsuspecting photographer who was just minding his own business until I obnoxiously came along with my 600mm and decided to get a close up of the ducks that he was trying to shoot with his little 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 or 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR and 2009-era D80. Will that make up for all the times I've had to sit and drool at someone else who had one of those big honking huge lenses. Will that compensate for my inadequate feeling even when toting around my 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII when I go out and shoot.

Friggin' 'A'...IT WILL. ~evil grin~ Karma, baby, karma.

Edit: June 12, 2013:

Even though the lens is a little older than the one I originally wanted, this AF-S II 600mm f/4 D IF-ED occupies a special place in my heart. It's seen action and it works perfectly.

<-- Yes, sadistically funny. I get a lot of people going... "Oh...you just have to get closer to the subject..." Yeah...OK...whatever

No comments:

Post a Comment